“Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family. Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one.”-
Sticking to an exercise routine and a healthy eating plan is hard enough, but doing it alone or without the support of your closest companions is like
fighting an uphill battle. It’s important to realize that cultivating those relationships that are supportive of your health and fitness goals is SO
important to your success! AND your mental health.
Everyone needs a Fitness Tribe! To be supported, to stay accountable, to share, learn, and be encouraged.
BUT Fitness tribes are not built overnight!
I have built a solid couple of tribes consisting of friends and family, the GFP team members, and the women on my soccer team. We’re more than just friends
on a Facebook page; we support each other, work towards a common goal and share the same passions. They challenge me to be the best version of myself,
encourage me, and support me through good times and not so good times.
It takes time to build these kinds of tribes at first. But in my own way I’ve figured out some things to cultivate and build these small communities.
10 Tips For Building Your Tribe:
2. What are Your Passions and Hobbies? Find out what you love to do, then find people who have the same interests and reach out to spend
time with them.
3. Express Happiness With Your People. You can never be too excited when expressing your love for those you care about.
4. Show Interest & Listen. Forgetting about small talk and really digging in to what’s going on with someone is the best way to
cultivate a relationship. People love to be heard. Make sure you listen and find out what is really important to that person.
5. Cultivate Confidence & Pump Them Up! People let their true selves shine when they are confident in who they are. Compliment the
people in your tribe, make them feel good, safe and supported. Give them praise and credit. We all want to be recognized and validated.
6. Challenge Your People. We should never fear conflict with the people we care about. Help to keep your people accountable and make sure
they are on the right track. If there is a way to challenge your friend and help them be a better person, do so nicely and with patience.
7. Work with Them to Achieve their Goals. There is nothing that brings people together better than a challenge or working hard for
something. If there are one or two people you already know who you would like to strengthen your friendship with, try to find a way to work together.
Working with others can help you strengthen your bonds with them. And if you’re able to achieve a goal with them you’ll be forever connected.
8. Connect Your People. Introduce people in your tribe who have common interests; give them access to information and resources that they
need; and let them know that you’re available if they need help.
9. Create Rituals. Share a meal together, a workout, recipes, or just meeting up somewhere special to spend time together. Do things that
are unique to your tribe.
10. Create a Virtual Tribe. Use social media like Facebook to invite friends to a support group online and keep track of each other’s
progress. You can also use social media to search for people and groups who share your interests and live in your area.
Keep in mind that the people you hang out with will have a huge impact on every aspect of your life! Everything from your health, income, stress level,
your mood, to your level of happiness is affected by the people you spend the most time with. Choose your tribe wisely.